OMW to be the best bridesmaid ever!
If you’ve been asked to be a bridesmaid, congrats! It’s a huge honour to be invited to stand with your loved one on their wedding day. But you might also be asking yourself — what bridesmaid duties am I responsible for, exactly? What are a bridesmaid’s responsibilities for before, during and even after the wedding day? Well, you’re right about one thing — standing at the altar with a smile on her face is not a bridesmaid’s only job. Consider this your ultimate checklist to slaying those bridesmaids responsibilities.
Bridesmaid duties before the wedding
- Plan the hen party.
- Create a WhatsApp group with the bride and all the bridesmaids.
- Check it with the couple frequently – offer practical help as often as you can.
- Visit the marriage venue if required – help make decisions on format and décor.
- Help with any wedding DIY sessions.
- Make yourself available for wedding ceremony dress buying and fittings whenever possible.
- Make yourself available for bridesmaids, for shopping sessions,
- Concentrate on any wedding planning woes – be supportive and enthusiastic.
- Flip all pre-wedding occasions into an excuse for cake and/or cocktails.
- Book a few pre-wedding pampering sessions – tan, nails, waxing, facials, etc.
- Get a wedding gift for her.
Bridesmaid responsibilities for the wedding week.
- If possible, try to take a couple of days off work, so that you can help.
- Attend any rehearsal dinners or beauty appointments.
- Help with transport, last-minute errands and wedding set-up.
- Make sure you have the shoes, accessories, and undies you need.
- Help the bride to pack.
- Prep an on-the-day emergency kit.
- Prep a morning playlist for the wedding day and buy something bubbly.
- Help diffuse any pre-wedding ceremony stress or tensions.
- Get a list of suppliers and their contact data for the day.
- Get a duplicate of the marriage timeline and familiarise yourself with it.
Duties for the morning of the wedding day.
- Wake up early, try and get ready and on time
- Assisting the surroundings in the room upbeat – tunes on!
- Make sure the bride eats breakfast.
- Ensure the hair and make-up are running on time.
- Introduce yourself as a point of contact to all relevant people, just like the photographer, videographer or venue coordinator.
- Keep an eye on the time throughout the event.
- Keep troubles away from the couple.
- Ensure the prep room doesn’t get too warm or crowded, it needs to be a fun, calm area for the bride.
- Help the bride in getting dresses and assist her with footwear and jewellery.
Bridesmaid responsibilities during the Wedding Ceremony
- Assist her inside and outside of vehicles, or downstairs if she needs help.
- Fix her dress and veil for the day, at the pinnacle of the aisle, or while posing for photos
- Take her bouquet for the ceremony.
- Set up a ‘Just Married’ sign at the back of the wedding car.
- Help family members with photos.
- Carry an emergency kit and the bride’s lipstick – let her know if she needs to refresh her look.
- Help her go to the toilet if required.
- Make a speech – we love it when a woman takes the mic.
- Get the guests to sign the guestbook or go to the photo booth.
- Be first on the dance ground and encourage others to keep it filled for the night!
- Arrange for candles, rose petals and bubbles in the honeymoon suite.
Click here to start a chat with our wedding planning experts and kick-start your wedding shopping and bookings.